Sunday, June 23, 2013

Assignment 5-1 Formulas

In the World of Warcraft

            World of Warcraft is an online role-playing experience or also known as a MMO -RPG (Massive Multiplayer Online - Role Playing Game). Players create and take on  the roles of Warcraft heroes as the alliance or as the evil side, the horde. As the player  explores, adventures, and quests across the  world of Azeroth. Being a MMO-RPG,  World of Warcraft allows thousands of players to interact within the same world. Whether adventuring together or fighting against each other in PVP (player vs. player) battles, players will form friendships, create guilds, and compete with enemies for power.

Formula for a Successful World

            World of Warcraft created the formula for a successful MMO-RPG. They are the first of their kind and has dominated the MMO world for the past ten years. Others have come and gone, trying to be the next World of Warcraft, but they have failed. World of Warcraft has had over twelve million subscribers with in the past decade. Their subscription fee is fifteen dollars a month, add that up and you can tell why they are one of the most successful MMO-RPG PC games of all time. With the financial backing to keep them going, World of Warcraft has made expansion after expansion giving their game and the world of Azeroth new life for their massive fan base. World of Warcraft continues to this day to dominate the competition and I see them doing so until they pull the plug on their own game, at least until their new game comes out in 2016, Titan.

Try World of Warcraft FREEClick Here

 The Call of Duty
            Ever want to be a hero on a battlefield? but not really get shot at? Well the Call of Duty franchise is just that. Call of Duty brings the live action of war into your living room with just a controller in hand. War is not to be taken lightly in no means, but the culture of the world is infused with war, so Call of Duty cashed in on just that. There have been hundreds of war games that are FPS (first person shooter) but for some reason Call of Duty got it right. From my experience, I believe the reason for their success comes from the flawless controls, meaning the feeling of the controller in hand and the reaction time of movement is one of the best out there. Other games may feel choppy or laggy, so you just don't want to play.

Formula or Ritual?
            Every year Call of Duty releases a new game; around November sometime. This may be a huge reason why people flock to the series because they can count on a new game from them every year, or it might be a ritual for the company and players to have a point in their life in which they have something to look towards. I'm not to proud to say that I am one of those people that stand in line at midnight for my fix of Call of Duty. I have to be one of the first online and start leveling my characters prestige level as fast as possible.

            Since I do this, people usually have a stereotypical name for people like me; nerd or a no life, this is not true (well maybe the nerd part). Even worse is when your fellow gamers online start calling you a no life because you may be better than them or you are a higher level. this does not mean you are a no life, yet you may have more time than them or may even be better at the game; more kills = more points = leveling faster. I don't care what people call me, I love what I do and it's my source of having fun, not going out and getting drunk. I stay at home where my family knows where I am and I am there if they need me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment